Adapted from the Physiotherapy Association of Alberta’s website:
At Chinook Rehab Centre we acknowledge that protecting the privacy of your personal information is of the utmost importance. We are committed to your privacy and will not disclose your personal information without consent, except when required or permitted by law. If you have ant questions, or would like access to your file, please contact our Privacy Officer (and Office Manager) Ellen Daniels.
Our privacy commitment
At Chinook Rehab Centre we protect patient privacy by:
- Collecting only the personal information required to provide physiotherapy, massage, or
chiropractic services; and to engage in direct billing with your insurance company.
- Clearly informing the patient on how your information might be disclosed and obtaining your
consent to do so.
- Safeguarding your personal information (for more information please ask to view our policy
Safeguarding Patient Information)
- Sharing your personal information only for the purposes stated and agreed to in a signed
consent form or otherwise permitted by law.
- Ensuring any practitioners or contractors we hire who may have access to your information also
protect the privacy of your information.
- Training staff and keeping the office space well-organized to ensure maximum protection of
- Ensuring personal information is current, complete and accurate.
- Having staff available to answer your questions.
The personal information collected is required to provide you with physiotherapy/massage/chiropractic services and to facilitate direct billing with insurance companies for services rendered.
What do we use your information for?
We use contact information to open and update your patient file, invoice for services, remind you of appointments and/or the need for further treatment, and to provide informational materials about our clinic. We use health information to assess, diagnose, provide, and evaluate physiotherapy treatment.
With whom do we share your information?
- Contact information - may be disclosed to third-party health benefit providers/insurers when
reimbursement claims for all or part of the treatment cost have been submitted.
- Health information - may be disclosed to third-party health benefit providers and insurance
companies when a claim is submitted for reimbursement or payment of all or part of the cost of
treatment or we have been asked to submit a claim on your behalf. And other health-care
professionals also providing you with treatment.
How do we store your information?
Our patients’ information is stored on our local hard drives, and it is backed up using the company DataHealth who has their data centre in Chicago, Illinois USA.
Information Stored Outside of Canada:
We contract with companies outside of Canada to provide services on our behalf, such as with companies located in the United States of America who provide data backup services. These companies and their affiliates may store personal information outside of Canada. For further information regarding storage of personal information outside of Canada or regarding Chinook Rehab Centre’s policies and practices regarding storage of information outside of Canada, please contact our Privacy Officer, whose contact information is listed at the end of this privacy statement.
What happens in the event of a privacy breach? Please see next page, “Privacy Breach Policies”
At any time you may access, correct your personal health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures (subject to legal exceptions) by contacting our Privacy Officer (see contact info below).
If you have concerns that are not adequately addressed by our Privacy Officer, you can reach out to the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OICP) of Alberta. Their Calgary phone number is 403-297-2728
Please note that it is your responsibility to keep us updated on changes to your file, such as your address if you’ve moved, and new health conditions and/or medications. Providing us with accurate information will assist us in providing you with the best care and services possible.
Privacy Officer: Ellen Daniels, Office Manager. Ellen.firstname.lastname@example.org 587-392-7777